Monday, July 23, 2012

Potato spinach blue cheese burgers

       It appears that it's been awhile since I last posted.
       Please accept this picture of rosemary–olive oil bread as an apology. It's that recipe that's been floating around on Pinterest, in case you're interested.


        It's been quite the five months. There's been Anglo-Saxon poetry ... and moving partway across town ... and starting a running programme ... and medical stuff ... and any number of expeditions, from waterfalls to the symphony, that seem to have taken priority over trying out new recipes, photographing them, and attempting to be witty in 400 words.

This is my new spice cupboard. It's alphabetised. Don't look at me like that; it makes things so much easier.

When your toast smiles at you, it's so easy to forget about one's blogging responsibilities.


       But quite out of the blue, I was just presented with the opportunity for another post. It started with the gift of some blue cheese, which initially presented two conundrums (conundra?): First, what could I make with it? and second, how can you tell when it goes bad? It's already blue, and it already has a strong smell.
       Eventually I decided to turn to an old turnover recipe, substituting the blue cheese for the cheddar in the original recipe. I mixed it with mashed red potatoes, spinach, and garlic, folded up in puff pastry, baked, and ate for supper with a strawberry–spinach salad with balsamic vinegar. I highly recommend it, and if I had had more puff pastry, I might have repeated the procedure with the other half of the potato mixture.



       But since I didn't — waste not, want not — I added two eggs and some breadcrumbs, formed it into patties, dunked them in more breadcrumbs, and fried them up in a small amount of olive oil, and there I was with the addition of some whole-wheat burger buns, fresh spinach, and the usual condiments, I have another four suppers in the freezer.
       But without further ado: the burgers.



Potato spinach blue cheese burgers

(makes, eh, maybe 10 or a dozen, depending on how big you make them)

Ingredients:
  • 4 red potatoes, boiled, mashed, and cooled
  • 4 green onions, chopped
  • 4 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 10 oz. frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
  • 4 oz. blue cheese 
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/4 c. breadcrumbs (+ 3/4 c. for coating)
  • salt to taste  
 Directions:
  1. Combine ingredients. 
  2. Form into patties.
  3. Coat in reserved breadcrumbs.
  4. Fry in small amount of olive oil.
  5. Serve fresh or flash-freeze as desired.

1 comment: