Friday, February 17, 2012

Cayenne feta scones


       What comes to mind when you think of relaxation?
       Sleeping? Cooking? Reading? Writing? Good on you. I'm your sister. Some of you exercise to relax. I don't understand that, I'm sorry. I just found a pin on Pinterest that read, "I work out because I know I would be first to die in the Hunger Games." That's exactly me, except without the actual working out.
       I'm betting cayenne pepper isn't on the list, but I'm throwing it in anyway.


       Right now we're on the cusp of a long weekend, and I'm facing the most horrendous case of writer's block I've known since trying to write coherently about the Great Vowel Shift. I just expressed this to the group I'm with, 71% of which is playing an obscure game called Mao. The first rule of Mao is that you do not discuss how to play Mao. I dropped out within the first three seconds.
       "I have no idea what to say about these scones," I said.
       "You might not want to go into marketing," one friend advised.
       "I'm not even trying to sell them," I said. "I made the scones and I can't think of anything interesting to say about them."
       "Well," the friend said, "were they hard to make? Were they easy? Did your roommate choke on one?"
       I will now respond: No, they weren't hard. No, nobody choked. And one unforeseen benefit of making a big batch of scones is that you can keep them on your counter and snack on them periodically. If you're heading to class in a rush, no worries just grab a scone.


       So with that in mind ... happy Presidents Day (and yes, that is the AP-approved spelling), happy long weekend (where applicable), and happy scone-making (in all cases)!

Cayenne feta scones
(from Fat and Happy Blog's lemon feta scones )

Ingredients:
  • ½ c. whole-wheat flour
  • 1½ c. all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • ¾ tsp. salt
  • ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 6 T. cold butter, cut into small chunks
  • 4 oz. feta
  • ¾ c. milk
  • 2 T. lemon juice
Directions:
  1. Combine flours, baking powder, salt, and cayenne. Rub in butter until no large chunks remain. Mix in feta.
  2. Add lemon juice to milk and let stand five minutes. Combine with flour mixture. 
  3. Roll into ¾" sheet on oiled baking pan. Cut into 1¾" squares with floured knife and separate slightly. Bake at 350°F for 1517 minutes or until brown on bottom.

2 comments:

  1. So . . . how do you pronounce "scones"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love scones so much. These look great!

    ReplyDelete