Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Zucchini basil feta muffins

(Written on Sunday at 10.30 a.m. I would have published it then, but the pictures wouldn't load fast enough.)
       In precisely one and a half hours, I will be in a minivan heading to a camp. I don't know where it is. I count myself lucky to know the name. All I know is that I've packed all the essentials --- toothbrush, flip-flops, Polish phrasebook (you never know!) --- and I'm so looking forward to two days of camaraderie and someone else's cooking before school begins.



       Now ... I realize that it's technically fall. I realize that I'm going to have to blow the spiders off my socks soon and start wearing them (the socks, not the spiders). I realize that Labor Day is over and that school is in full swing and we're starting to see Halloween stuff on the shelves. But there's no question that these muffins are summery. They use sweet corn and basil and that bane of the garden, zucchini. If you live where I live, these muffins still an option: our market still has fresh local sweet corn, although that's beginning to be eclipsed by apples.

My printer isn't hooked up yet, and I was in a rush to get the recipe.

       But my point is: if you're still craving one last drop of summer, make these and eat them while wearing a sundress (with long underwear underneath), cute sandals (over toe socks), and a floppy hat (lined with fleece).
       Because summer isn't over until we say it is.


Zucchini basil feta muffins
adapted from Running to the Kitchen

Ingredients:
  • 1½ c. all-purpose flour
  • 1½ tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • ½ tsp. pepper
  • 1½ c. grated zucchini
  • ½ c. feta
  • ½ c. milk
  • ¼ c. olive oil
  • 2 eggs    
  • 3 T. fresh basil, chopped 
  • Optional: ½ c. fresh corn, 3 T. cornmeal, ½ chopped fresh jalapeño
Directions:
  1. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pepper (plus cornmeal, if desired). Mix well.
  2. Add zucchini and feta (plus corn and jalapeño, if desired).
  3. In separate bowl, combine milk, oil, eggs, and basil. Add to other bowl.
  4. Spoon into greased or paper-lined muffin cups. Bake at 350°F for 18-20 minutes. Makes 12.
Other ideas for these:
  • Add 1/3 c. diced sun-dried tomatoes.
  • Substitute parmesan, cheddar, another cheese, or a mix of them all for the feta.

3 comments:

  1. Have fun camping! I never could get over the whole bugs issue... but i'm sure it will be a blast! These muffins are a great way to have a last taste of Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feta makes the world go round! I'm sure of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm craving for a muffin right now *A*

    ReplyDelete